Four Harrow Hong Kong teams impressed at the South East Asian Mathematics Competition (SEAMC) which took place in Manila last weekend (1-3 March).
The competition was hosted by Brent International School Manila and British School Manila. The Harrow contingent challenged against teams from 19 other schools representing Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Vietnam and Singapore.
The Junior team, Kush (Year 9, Shaftesbury), Warren (Year 9, Churchill), Annie (Year 9, Wu), Jett (Year 10, Peel), Kevin (Year 10, Churchill) and Michelle (Year 10, Wu) all performed excellently, advancing through to the knockout rounds of the competition. Awards were given in the categories of Challenge, Collaboration, Communication, Knowledge, Strategy and Creativity.
Kush and Warren were both awarded with the Silver medal, and Kush was also the codebreaker finalist. As a dual finalist, Annie claimed gold for Collaboration, and also the Gold ticket which qualifies her for the World Mathematics Championships in Melbourne in June. In addition to claiming gold for their outstanding Communication skills, Jett, Kevin and Michelle earned Gold Tickets and will also be attending the competition in Australia.
Those who took part from the Senior team were Valerie (Year 11, Gellhorn), Vivian (Year 11, Wu), Edith (Year 11, Wu), with Ben (Year 13, Churchill), Sabrina (Year 13, Keller) and Tracy (Year 13, Keller) winning Bronze medals for Communication.
Being ranked as the top five across all nine rounds, Ben and Sabrina were both awarded with the Black Ribbon and the Gold Ticket.
Our pupils also took up the challenge of producing a video on their own interesting piece of Maths as well as filming and editing it within 24 hours. As a result, the three best videos were played at the event’s Gala dinner, with two of the videos being created by Ben, Tracy, Sabrina, and Michelle, Jett and Kevin.
Congratulations to our pupils for their achievements and for representing the School on the world stage.
Harrow Hong Kong results at the SEAMC 2018:
Gold tickets and qualification for the World Mathematics Championships (Melbourne, June 2018):
- Kevin, Jett, Michelle and Annie (Junior)
- Ben and Sabrina (Senior)
SEAMC Award Winners:
- Codebreaker finalist (Junior) - Kush
- Codebreaker finalist (Senior) - Ben
- Dual Finalist (Junior) - Annie
- Dual Silver medal (Junior) - Warren
- Dual Gold medal (Senior) - Ben
- Challenge Bronze medal (Senior) - Ben
- Communication Gold medal (Junior, team award) - Jett, Kevin and Michelle
- Communication Bronze medal (Senior, team award) - Tracy, Sabrina and Ben
- Knowledge Silver medal (Senior) - Sabrina
- Collaboration Gold medal (Junior, buddy team) - Annie
- Collaboration Gold medal (Senior, buddy team) - Sabrina
- Creativity Bronze medal (Junior) - Jett
- Creativity Silver medal (Junior) - Kush